The Latina Search for & How to Get The Perfect Eyebrows
Yesterday, I gave my hair its usual 100 strokes, when I realized something so shocking that I dropped my hair brush. I looked closer in the mirror and my eyes certainly were not deceiving: my brows were as thick as that of the great Frida Kahlo herself. Unfortunately, I’m not a timeless artist so the bushy brows couldn’t pass as a fashion statement. They had to go. Now, you may be asking yourself: why did this chick let the bush grow so thick? Unfortunately, I’m one of the Latinas in search of the perfect brows. A girl’s eyebrows can make a bold fashion statement well under $50. In my search I wanted to thicken my brows to their natural shapes after realizing that I’ve been overplucking for over a year. Now the au nautural look is over, and my tweezers are eager for some plucking. Here’s how you can tweeze to perfection:
Ingredients to a perfect pair of eye-opening brows:
- A great pair of tweezers. My recommended choice: Tweezerman
- A mirror, preferably magnifying
- Anbesol or children’s teething gel if you’re afraid of pain
Steps to Perfect Eyebrows:
- Wash the eyebrow area so it’s not oily. If it’s slick with oil, the tweezers can’t hold onto anything but grease. Cleanse your skin with a gentle scrub, which helps to prep the area. Worried about pain? Expert aesthicians suggest applying to the brow Anbesol, Orajel or any teething gel for babies.
- Get all of your gear together: brushes, tweezers, eyebrow pencils, and all of your other essentials.
- Sit near a window or in front of an illuminated mirror to get the best light.
- Brush brows up and out.
- Carefully draw your ideal brow line with an eyebrow pencil. I usually use a pencil that’s not color. That way I can easily see which hairs to pluck.
- Pluck one hair at a time.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- To find where your brow should go, take a long eyeshadow brush or pencil and hold it parallel to the side of your nose. Where the brush meets your brow is where your brow should begin.
- To find the end of your brow, extend the brush diagonally from your nostril, following the outside edge of your eye toward the brow. Where the inside edge of the brush hits is where your brow should end.
- The best brows have a slight arch. To find yours, hold the brush parallel to the outside edge of the colored part of your eye (the iris). Where the brush meets the brow is where the highest part of your brow should be.
CLEANSE: Bobbi Brown Shimmering Wash, Mary Kay Indulge Soothing Eye Gel
TWEEZERS: M.A.C. Tweezer. Tweezerman Tweezer
EYEBROW KITS: Chanel Le Sourcil, Bobbi Brown Brow Collection
SHAPING HELPERS: Clinique Brow Shaper, Clinique Superfine Lines for Brows, M.A.C. Brow Shaper,
EYEBROW PENCIL: Lancome Le Crayon Poudre, Chanel Sculpte Sourcil,
- VANIDADES magazine, February 27, 2007 issue
- eHow.com: How to Tweeze Your Eyebrows http://www.ehow.com/how_2824_pluck-eyebrows.html
- About Beauty: How to Pluck Your Eyebrows http://beauty.about.com/od/allaboutyoureyes/ht/groombrows.htm